Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The Reward
All right I will let everyone know what
the reward is. You probably will think we
have lost it. And maybe we have. But we
were desperate, and desperate times call for
desperate measures. First of all let me explain
the problems we had with homework. Both kids
were frankly not doing it. After dinner I would sit
them down and ask what they needed to do for
homework and for the most part they would lie
and say they had none. So my next line of defense
was that it didn't matter if they had no homework
or not, they had to study for 30 minutes. That didn't
work either. We tried paying them for A's and B's
I think $10 for A's $5 for B's $0 for C's and
any D's of F's canceled the whole thing out.
That didn't work either. Every night was a fight.
I would go through notebooks, bags, see what I
could find. I was emailing and talking to teachers.
Jake and I were so frustrated, that when the end
of the year came we were actually glad to get a break
from homework. The kids grades weren't so bad.
Mostly b's but with an A here or there. And there
was a scattering of C's D's and and F once or twice.
With these grades came groundings. No TV, no video
games, no friends over......on and on and on.
You get the picture. And the bad grades came
from not doing homework. I was beside myself.
I was being a good mom and making sure they had
time away from distractions so they could do their
homework. I would look in their bags for it, I would ask
them "what" homework they had instead of
asking "if" they had any homework. I was going crazy.
So over the summer Jake and would talk about it
together and not really come up with anything.
We were tired of the lying and the fighting. It was
wearing on us both. So a week before school started
I was doing something in the kitchen and he was
reading on the couch. The kids were out swimming.
He all of a sudden said. Ah ha!!! I figured it out. I
know how to get them to do better in school.
I was pretty flabergasted when he announced his
idea. All I said is all right, if you think "we" can
make good on it.
So we told the kids. This is reward is stricktly for
All A's on a report card. We wouldn't count mid-terms.
Just quarter and semester grades. If they got
any b's or below they wouldn't get anything.
(We don't think getting b's are bad, but we
needed to shake things up in our household)
So if you get all A's 1st quarter you get $25.
I know it doesn't sound like much especially
since other like bribes like that didn't work.
But just wait....it gets lots better.
(atleast for the kids)
All A's for the 2nd quarter $50
All A's for the 3rd quarter $100
All A's for the 4th quarter $200
Total: $375
This is each person.
Are we crazy? Probably. But let me tell
you. The kids got very giddy when Jake
unrolled the plan. I got light headed.
But since school has started, there is no fighting
over homework. Even if they have one
problem in Math left to do from earlier in
the day, they do it at home instead of
trying to get it done at school the next day.
They are actually studying for tests.
They are telling us about projects when
they find out about it not the night before.
And working on them right away.
Now we are not going to let the kids spend
every penny on frivilous nothings. The money
is going to be put in the bank till the last report card
so they have the full amount. Then they will get a big
chunk probably $100 to spend how they want,
then they save the rest.
When I saw Sam's mid-terms I knew that this
was worth it. 5A+'s 2 A's and 2B's. He was my
biggest fighter. Being a teenager. He loves to fight.
But he loves money like they all do, even more.
And he has never had the opportunity for
this much.
The other great thing about this, is since the
mid-terms have come out, Sam and Liz have
come to me on there own, about how they are
going to raise their grades from B's to A's.
And none of those plans are make sure I get
my homework in, because they already do.
Liz talked to her teachers on her own and
found out that her B's were from quizes that
she didn't do so well on. So she is making
sure she studies and makes sure she understands
the concepts. Sam did the same thing.
I was a little scared when they started Cross Country.
I was sure they would be too tired to do
homework. And it would be a battle again.
but, they just come home, take a quick dip in
the pool, eat a snack and get back to work.
It is great. Now I am a realist. I don't
know how long this will last. I hope it lasts through
high school. But I know my children. It may get old.
But until then, I am enjoying "homework time".
I am enjoying not fighting.(Well over homework atleast)
And I love seeing how proud they are of
themselves.

4 comments:

suz said...

Good for you guys. i have a good friend that tried the same tactic last year for her 12-13 year old. the middle of the year she earned the promised ipod and at the end of the year a laptop.it worked for them! i kept teasing her about how they would top that this year! all of us who have kids know:sometimes desperate times calls for drastic measures! jed wants to know what he gets for his 4.0? :)

Jenny Roberts said...

I found your blog! Good idea. I am all about bribery. Good luck!

Unknown said...

I say if it works, then go for it! Good job Sam and Liz!

Amy Reid said...

We do the same idea with our oldest, Jameson (age 16). We started it about a year and a half ago. He wasn't doing any homework, ever, unless he was at our house (his mom doesn't ever make him do homework). We knew he'd been dying for a cell phone, so we started a plan that has strings attached with his grades. He had to get a 3.3 GPA for 2 terms (quarters) to get the phone in the first place. He did it!! Next we made the rule that in order to keep the phone, he must have at leat a 3.0 GPA with NO failing grades (D or F). It has worked beautifully! He got an F on one term. He lost his phone for the whole next term and had to get a 3.3 to get it back. He worked his tail off to get it back! He was so happy when we handed it back to him.

I think you could adapt our plan to an IPod or Wii system or anything that is important to a kid, as long as you really enforce your rules and make them clear from the start. We even made our son sign a contract stating the rules and that he agreed to abide by them! It's been the answer to our prayers. Now we regularly discuss his grades with them, and when they're slipping, he works hard to bring them back up.

Love,
Amy R.